Ag News / Grange News

Did you know???

N.C. 2nd in total hogs and pigs produced!
pig-alp-rona-furna-sow-63285
Article reposted from Morning Ag Clips, sign up for their emails here!

RALEIGH — The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) released the Hogs and Pigs report June 29, showing North Carolina swine production down slightly, but second only to Iowa in total number produced.

  • All hogs and pigs on North Carolina farms on June 1, totaled 9 million head; down 2% from March 1.
  • Market hogs, at 8.1 million head, were down 1% from 2016 and down 2% from last quarter.
  • Breeding stock totaled 880,000 head; this was down 1% from 2016 but unchanged from last quarter.
  • North Carolina’s pig crop during the March-–May 2017 period totaled 4.7 million head; down 3% from the same period last year. These pigs were produced by 470,000 sows. Pigs saved per litter averaged 10, which is down from the 10.25 pigs saved during the same quarter in 2016.
  • North Carolina producers intend to farrow 465,000 sows during the June-August quarter of 2017 and 460,000 during the September-November 2017 quarter.

“We work to provide accurate, timely and useful data to the agricultural community,” said Dee Webb, North Carolina state statistician. “We couldn’t do that without our farmers, and we recognize their time is very valuable so credit for the hog and pig data goes to those in swine production who responded to the June Hog and Pig Survey. These data are important to farmers, and it helps North Carolina agriculture remain viable and capable.” 

All reports are available on the NASS website: https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/Calendar/reports_by_date.php.

For more information on NASS surveys and reports, call the NASS North Carolina Field Office at (800) 437-8451, or visit https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/North_Carolina/.

— USDA, NASS, Eastern Mountain Regional Field Office

RALEIGH — The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) released the Hogs and Pigs report June 29, showing North Carolina swine production down slightly, but second only to Iowa in total number produced. All hogs and pigs on North Carolina farms on June 1, totaled 9 million head; down 2% from March 1. Market hogs, at 8.1 million head, were down 1% from 2016 and down 2% from last quarter. Breeding stock totaled 880,000 head; this was down 1% from 2016 but unchanged from last quarter. North Carolina’s pig crop during the March-–May 2017 period totaled 4.7 million head; down 3% from the same period last year. These pigs were produced by 470,000 sows. Pigs saved per litter averaged 10, which is down from the 10.25 pigs saved during the same quarter in 2016. North Carolina producers intend to farrow 465,000 sows during the June-August quarter of 2017 and 460,000 during the September-November 2017 quarter. “We work to provide accurate, timely and useful data to the agricultural community,” said Dee Webb, North Carolina state statistician. “We couldn’t do that without our farmers, and we recognize their time is very valuable so credit for the hog and pig data goes to those in swine production who responded to the June Hog and Pig Survey. These data are important to farmers, and it helps North Carolina agriculture remain viable and capable.” All reports are available on the NASS website: https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/Calendar/reports_by_date.php. For more information on NASS surveys and reports, call the NASS North Carolina Field Office at (800) 437-8451, or visit https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/North_Carolina/. — USDA, NASS, Eastern Mountain Regional Field Office

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s